About Cryotherapy & Cryosaunas:
Cryosaunas use nitrogen to lower your skin surface temperature by 30-50 degrees Fahrenheit over a period of two-three minutes. The Cryochamber is cooled using liquid nitrogen, but clients are not in direct contact with the gas. The skin reacts to the cold and sends messages to the brain that acts as a stimulant to the regulatory functions of the body. It produces the scanning of all areas that may not be working to their fullest potential. The skin exposure to the extreme temperatures also triggers the release of anti-inflammatory molecules and endorphins. And we all know that endorphins make us happy. Who couldn’t use a little boost of happy?
WBC or Whole Body Cryotherapy was originally developed in Japan in 1978 for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, and the benefits have been studied and refined in Europe. Since that time It has been used in Europe and Japan for more than three decades. Multiple research studies have been published in medical journals about the effects of whole body cryotherapy, and in many European countries the treatments are covered by medical insurance policies. In the United States, whole body cryotherapy is considered a non-medical wellness modality, and health insurances do not offer reimbursements for the service … yet.
- A single WBC (Whole Body Cryotherapy) session before exercise seems to have a beneficial effect on the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory markers when compared with control.
- Three WBC sessions within 48 hours after damaging running exercises accelerate recovery from exercise-induced muscle damage to a greater extent than from passive modalities or far-infrared modalities.
- WBC causes a decrease in pro-inflammatory (bad) interleukins (ILs) and a rise in anti-inflammatory (good) ILs.
- A study of rheumatoid arthritis patients reported the one variable that showed definite improvement with WBC (vs local cold treatment) was pain.
- Effects of whole body cryotherapy on multiple sclerosis patients was positive (and postulated to be) beneficial.
- Used widely in many applications, especially degenerative and inflammatory joint diseases and fibromyalgia.
- Study of a small sample suggests positive effects on treatment of depressive and anxiety disorders.
- You can burn up to 800 calories in one three minute session.